If you or a loved one is arrested for child molestation in Macon, Georgia (Bibb County), it is important that you act immediately to protect yourself. Do not wait until your court date to get an attorney and to preserve evidence.
The Bibb County District Attorney is the Honorable Anita Howard. Her office has a dedicated division called the Crimes Against Women and Children Unit. The Bibb County DA’s will vigorously prosecute you if you are charged with child molestation.
Your case will be presided over by one of the four elected Superior Court judges.
- Judge Philip T. Raymond, III
- Judge Connie L. Williford
- Judge David L. Mincey
- Chief Judge Howard Z. Simms
Do not think that just because you are innocent that the charges will be dismissed. Child molestation charges are aggressively prosecuted in Bibb County and the police believe children who make the accusations.
Make sure your attorney has had jury trials in child molestation cases and has won these cases. Do not let an attorney handle your case who does not specifically handle child molestation cases.
The law may say you are presumed innocent but in child molestation cases, you have to prove your innocence.
Here is what you should do if arrested for child molestation in Bibb County.
- Hire an attorney – Make sure that attorney actually handles and tries child molestation cases. Most criminal defense attorneys do not handle child molestation cases. Make sure the attorney you talk to does regularly handles child molestation cases in Georgia.
- Avoid making any statements – Do not walk into the police department and profess your innocence. The police will not believe you. Do not think you can show up at your first court date and tell the prosecutor and judge that you are innocent and expect the charges to be dropped. If you are arrested for child molestation, you have to start preparing for your jury trial. Do not make any statements to anyone except your lawyer.
- Start gathering important evidence
- Gather and preserve any physical evidence in your possession that might relate to the child making the accusation. This includes clothing, photos, video or any other tangible object.
- Gather and preserve any documents that might relate to this accusation including emails, texts, social media, phone records, GPS records, computer records or any other document that might show where you were when this incident allegedly occurred.
- Witnesses – Immediately make a list of any person who you think might have information about this child molestation accusation. Do not discuss the case with this person but pass this list of potential witnesses to your attorney and let your attorney contact them.
Here is what you should never do if arrested for child molestation in Bibb County.
- Never talk to the alleged victim or the family.
- Never have any contact with the alleged victim through a 3rd party or through social media.
- Never talk to law enforcement without an attorney present.
- Never talk to a child welfare agency or any other governmental agency without an attorney present.
If you are arrested for child molestation or any sex offense in Bibb County, please call our office 24/7 at 404-581-0999 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will sit down with you and fully discuss your case and what to expect in court. There is no charge for the initial consultation. You will only retain us if you feel we are the best law firm to represent you. It is your case and your life so you need to hire the lawyer that you feel gives you the best chance to win.