If you are arrested for the following offenses, you may be eligible to participate in a diversion program.
The eligible offenses are:
- Minor in Possession of Alcohol
- Possession of a Fake ID
- Possession of Marijuana (VGCSA)
- Theft by Shoplifting
- Theft by Taking
So if you are arrested on any of these charges, do not walk in to court and plead guilty. You definitely will want to consider the diversion program. If you are accepted and complete the diversion program, then the case will be dismissed and your record will be sealed.
In Cobb County, the prosecutor, otherwise known as the Cobb County Solicitor General, will require you to have an attorney. They will not let anyone enter into the diversion program if they are not represented by an attorney. We will work with you on a payment plan that fits your budget.
There is a $ 350 fee for any person that would like to participate in the diversion program.
There are several requirements that must be completed within 12 weeks once you enter the program. You can complete the requirements earlier than 12 weeks.
- Community Service:
- For Marijuana possession, theft by shoplifting and theft by taking, you must complete 40 hours of community service.
- For possession of a fake ID, you must complete 60 hours of community service.
- For minor in possession of alcohol, the community service varies:
- 40 hours – if you blow below a .08 or are not offered an opportunity to blow into a portable breath device
- 60 hours – if you possess a fake ID and blow below a .08
- 80 hours – if you blow between a .08 and .15
- 120 hours – if you blow above a .15 or refuse.4.
All Cobb County Police Officers are trained to request a breath test if you are caught with an alcohol and are not 21 years of age.
- For possession of a Fake ID and Minor in Possession of Alcohol, the defendant must admit, in writing, from whom and where they obtained the alcohol and fake ID
- Clean Screens
- You must pass 3 drug/alcohol screens during the 12 weeks. These drugs screens must be done through the Cobb County Superior Court Drug Lab unless previous permission is granted to do it elsewhere.
- These drug screens are for Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Fake ID and Marijuana Possession cases only.
- Alcohol and Drug Evaluation
- If you are charged with Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Fake ID or Marijuana Possession then you must complete an evaluation from a state certified evaluator. If this evaluation requires treatment, then you must complete the treatment within the allotted time.
- Theft Seminar
- If charged with theft by shoplifting or theft by taking, you must complete an approved theft seminar.
- If you are under 21 years old, then you must handwrite a 2 page essay about why you should be admitted into the diversion program.
- Additional Classes
- For Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Possession of a Fake ID and Possession of Marijuana (VGCSA) you must complete one of the following:
- MADD Victim Impact Panel
- Teen Drug and Alcohol Impact Program (only if under 25 years old)
- S.M.A.R.T. Program
So if you are arrested for any of the above, do not panic. Please call us so we can discuss your case, your defenses to your case and see if you are eligible to participate in the diversion program. It is a great way to make sure you do not have a criminal record.
Give us a call 24/7 at 404-581-0999